BHANDARA, a town and district of British India, in the Nagpur division of the Central Provinces. The town (pop. in 1901, 14,023) is situated on the left a bank of the river Waingangā. 7m from a station on the bengal-Nagpur railway.
Bhandara is the word derived from "Bhannara". Ratanpur (Dist. Bilaspur) excavation has confirmed the historical status of Bhandara. In the stone inscription of Ratanpur, Bhandara district was in existence in the 11th century. Bhandara district was governed by feudal dynasty of Lanji from 1818 to 1830 and Lanji was the head quarter of the dynasty. Bhandara district with its head quarter at Bhandara was formed in 1821. Bhandara district was again divided and New Gondia district was formed on 1st May 1999. Thus Bhandara & Gondia district have come into existence.