BHANDARA, a town and district of British India, in the Nagpur division of the Central Provinces. The town (pop. in 1901, 14,023) is situated on the left a bank of the river Waingangā. 7m from a station on the bengal-Nagpur railway.
Bhandara is the word derived from "Bhannara". Ratanpur (Dist. Bilaspur) excavation has confirmed the historical status of Bhandara. In the stone inscription of Ratanpur, Bhandara district was in existence in the 11th century. Bhandara district was governed by feudal dynasty of Lanji from 1818 to 1830 and Lanji was the head quarter of the dynasty. Bhandara district with its head quarter at Bhandara was formed in 1821. Bhandara district was again divided and New Gondia district was formed on 1st May 1999. Thus Bhandara & Gondia district have come into existence.
Tradition says that at a remote period a tribe of men, called the Gaulis belonged to the Gond Raja of Deogarh. In 1743 it was conquered by the Mahrattas, who governed it till 1853, when it lapsed to the British government, the raja of Nagpur having died without an heir.
Bhandara district's known history goes back to 11th Century. Shri Chakradhar Mahapraphu the founder of Mahanubhav sect has visited and stayed in different villages of Bhandara district in 11th century, his long stay was at Bhandara and his first disciple Nilkantharai Bhandarekar hailed from Bhandara city. Lila Charitra the main religious book of Mahanubhav Sect has several references regarding Bhandara district
Bhandara district is encircled by Balaghat district (M.P.) in north, Gondia in east, Chandrapur, in South, and Nagpur in the West. Hilly region of the northern side consists of Satpuda range, Bhivsen Koka are small hillocks in this range. Gaymukh, Ambagad, these are the prominent hills in northern hilly region
The District of Bhandara has an area of 3965 sq. m.
The district is bounded on the N., NE. and E. by lofty hills, inhabited by Gonds and other aboriginal tribes, while the W. and N.W. are comparatively open. Small branches of the Satpura range make their way into the interior of the district.
The Ambagarh or Sendurjhari hills, which skirt the south of the Chandpur pargana, have an average height of between 300 and 400 ft. above the level of the plain.
The other elevated tracts are the Balahi hills, the Kanheri hills and the Nawegaon hills.
The Waingangā is the principal river in the district, and the only stream that does not dry up in the hot weather, its affluent within the district being the Bawanthari, Bagh, Kanhan and Chulban
There are 3648 small lakes and tanks in Bhandara district, whence it is called the lake region of nagpur; they afford ample means of irrigation.
More than one-third of the district lies under jungle, which yields gum, medicinal fruit and nuts, edible fruits, lac, honey and the blossoms of the ma/hat tree (Bassia latifolia), which area eaten by the poorer classes, and used for the manufacture of a kind of spirit.
Tigers, panthers, deer wild hogs and other wild animals abound in the forests, and during the rainy season many deaths occur from snake-bites
Iron is the chief mineral product. Gold is also found in the bed of the Sone river. Literate, shale and sandstone occur all over the district. Native cloth, brass wares, pot-stone wares, cartwheels, straw and reed baskets, and a small quantity of silk, from the only manufactures, the principal crops are rice, wheat, millet, other food-grains, pulse, linseed, and a little super-cane.
It has considerable manufactures of cotton cloth and brass-ware, and a first-grade middle school, with a library.
The district is traversed by the main road from Nagpur to the east, and also by the Bengal-Nagpur railway.
Bhandara is the rice bowl of Maharashtra state Chinnor, Dubhraj, Kalikammod, these scented rice varieties from Bhandara district are famous in the State. Bhandara district is known as district of lakes. District is rich in forest, beautiful lakes, natural flora & fauna have enhanced natural beauty and grandeur of the dist.